Re: [html] Summary draft

Maciej Stachowiak wrote:

> Just for the record:
>
> On Sep 14, 2009, at 6:33 PM, John Foliot wrote:
>
>> We already know that *you* think that it is never appropriate to use
>> @summary, and
>> your opinion is duly and publicly noted.  However, the 'consensus'
>> position is that it has both a use and appropriateness that goes beyond
>> your opinion.
>
> We haven't assessed a Working Group consensus on the appropriate uses
> for summary. It's clear to me from observation that opinions vary (and
> it's not a case of Ian vs. everyone else).
>

>>> It is difficult to evaluate proposals without understanding what
>>> problems they are trying to solve.
>>
>> <problem>THE PROBLEM IS THAT MANY PEOPLE DISAGREE WITH THE TEXT YOU HAVE
>> INSERTED INTO THE SPECIFICATION.</problem>
>>
>> It is text that has been authored by one person (you), as opposed to a
>> draft text, which Cynthia has floated, that has been authored by and
>> commented upon by many people, and more closely reflects the consensus
>> position of the communities affected.
>
> It's not clear at this time whether Cynthia's text reflects consensus of
> the HTML Working Group. It does seem clear to me that a number of people
> like Cynthia's text better than Ian's, and vice versa.
>

> Overall comment: John, please recall that you personally signed off on
> the text that is currently in the Editor's Draft. You are free to change
> your mind, and express a preference for different text. But I suggest
> that you dial down the outrage over text that you at one time personally
> reviewed and approved. How about a little less all-caps and "one person"
> rhetoric? (I do appreciate your work to more clearly express the issues
> and file bugs.)

Point of order: the only thing John agreed to was to withdraw his draft
"at this time", with the expectation that the discussions "are on-going
and will continue" and that this action "*did not* close Issue 32, and
it is important for all to realize that point."

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2009Aug/0182.html
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2009Aug/0286.html
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2009Aug/0362.html

> Regards,