Re: [html] Summary draft

Just for the record:

On Sep 14, 2009, at 6:33 PM, John Foliot wrote:

> We already know that *you* think that it is never appropriate to use
> @summary, and
> your opinion is duly and publicly noted.  However, the 'consensus'
> position is that it has both a use and appropriateness that goes
> beyond
> your opinion.

We haven't assessed a Working Group consensus on the appropriate uses
for summary. It's clear to me from observation that opinions vary (and
it's not a case of Ian vs. everyone else).

>> It is difficult to evaluate proposals without understanding what
>> problems they are trying to solve.
>
> <problem>THE PROBLEM IS THAT MANY PEOPLE DISAGREE WITH THE TEXT YOU
> HAVE
> INSERTED INTO THE SPECIFICATION.</problem>
>
> It is text that has been authored by one person (you), as opposed to a
> draft text, which Cynthia has floated, that has been authored by and
> commented upon by many people, and more closely reflects the consensus
> position of the communities affected.

It's not clear at this time whether Cynthia's text reflects consensus
of the HTML Working Group. It does seem clear to me that a number of
people like Cynthia's text better than Ian's, and vice versa.

Overall comment: John, please recall that you personally signed off on
the text that is currently in the Editor's Draft. You are free to
change your mind, and express a preference for different text. But I
suggest that you dial down the outrage over text that you at one time
personally reviewed and approved. How about a little less all-caps and
"one person" rhetoric? (I do appreciate your work to more clearly
express the issues and file bugs.)

Regards,
Maciej