Re: ISSUE-53: mediatypereg - suggest closing on 2009-09-03

On Sep 1, 2009, at 18:31, Mark Baker wrote:

> FWIW, I had a look through the obsolete list last night and found some
> which had properly defined semantics.  For example, "plaintext" was
> defined to mean the same thing as "pre".  That's good, and what we
> should strive for for the examples given by Julian.

If that level of definition is sufficient, isn't this on the same
level for scheme:
"User agents may treat the scheme content attribute on the meta
element as an extension of the element's name content attribute when
processing a meta element with a name attribute whose value is one
that the user agent recognises as supporting the scheme attribute.

User agents are encouraged to ignore the scheme attribute and instead
process the value given to the metadata name as if it had been
specified for each expected value of the scheme attribute."

If plaintext *means* the same thing as pre given this statement about
UA *behavior*, "User agents must treat plaintext elements in a manner
equivalent to pre elements.", isn't the *behavioral* statement quoted
above enough to define @scheme to *mean* nothing (i.e. it's a talisman)?

Also, doesn't the following "define" @profile on at least the same
level as plaintext is defined?

"When the attribute would be used as a globally unique name, the user
agent should instead always assume that all known profiles apply to
all pages, and should therefore apply the conventions of all known
metadata profiles to the document.

When the attribute's value would be handled as a URL and dereferenced,
the user agent may resolve the attribute's value, and if that is
successful, may then fetch the resulting absolute URL and apply the
appropriate processing."

--
Henri Sivonen
hsivonen@iki.fi