Re: <meter> and <progress> (was RE: Implementor feedback on new elements in HTML5)

On Sep 2, 2009, at 01:00, Jonas Sicking wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 1, 2009 at 12:52 PM, Tab Atkins
> Jr.<jackalmage@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Tue, Sep 1, 2009 at 10:29 AM, Adrian Bateman<adrianba@microsoft.com
>> > wrote:
>>> <meter> does seem like a corner case - I'm also not convinced it
>>> would be broadly used. <progress> seems like a reasonable control
>>> - it supports both the progress and activity use cases that
>>> Windows also provides. I agree with Jonas that it's unlikely to
>>> get broad adoption without styling support.
>>
>> Assuming proper styling controls, meters are used *everywhere*.
>> Think
>> about every time you see a rating site that gives a movie 4 stars,
>> for
>> example.
>
> Interesting, that's the first time I've heard of a common use of
> something that could use <meter>s. Do you have more examples? (Asking
> since you say "*everywhere*").

  * Relevance of search results. (As seen in Mail.app on the desktop.)
  * Proportion of storage quota used in a cloud service.
  * Battery left on a device in a Web-based management UI of a battery-
operated device. (As seen in System Preferences, Keyboard & Mouse,
Bluetooth on Leopard.)

>> Without proper styling these sorts of cases won't use <meter>, but
>> with styling (done in such a way as to make these kinds of things
>> easy), I think you'll see a lot of use.
>
> One possibility is to wait with <meter> until there are at least
> proposals for how to style it.

The main problem with providing <progress> but not <meter> is that
authors would abuse progress bars as level indicators.

--
Henri Sivonen
hsivonen@iki.fi