Re: Implementor feedback on new elements in HTML5

On Tue, Sep 1, 2009 at 2:29 AM, Maciej Stachowiak<mjs@apple.com> wrote:

> (Additional comments are personal feedback only.)
>
> On Aug 31, 2009, at 10:14 PM, Jonas Sicking wrote:
>
>> Great feedback Maciej,
>>
>> At mozilla we have yet to do a detailed review of the new elements, so
>> I can't give as detailed feedback at the time. However it feels like I
>> personally generally agree. Some comments and cases I didn't agree
>> with below:
>>
>>> - <dialog> element
>>>  This essentially gives the same behavior as <dl> but with appropriate
>>> semantics for logs of conversations. It seems useful and easy to
>>> implement.
>>
>> Useful for what? I don't yet understand what anyone needs this element
>> for.
>
> One example would be markup for a chat log. I'm personally not sure it adds
> a lot of value for this case, but I'm not sure if there is an existing good
> way to mark up logs of conversations, and it seems like a fairly common use
> case.

What use is marking up a chat log? What value does it add?

> I don't feel strongly about this, but it doesn't seem like
> implementing it would be a problem.

Indeed, implementing <dialog> in a browser is trivial. A feature that
isn't used, or mostly used wrongly, still adds a cost (spec bloat,
tutorial bloat, author confusion, name collisions with future features
etc), my concern is purely that.

/ Jonas