Re: Microdata design philosophies

Martin McEvoy On 09-10-15 23.59:

> Tab Atkins Jr. wrote:
>> On Thu, Oct 15, 2009 at 4:33 PM, Martin McEvoy <martin@weborganics.co.uk> wrote:
>>
>>> Itemscope, itemprop, itemref...etc..etc don't sound human friendly at all,
>>> If microdata were ever to become popular ( god forbid ) think of all
>>> gigabaytes of data that's going to take up just because you thought that
>>> pre-pending everything with "item" was somehow intuitive, and TBL worries
>>> about forward slashes, Im suprised you can sleep at night ;)
>>>
>> You kidding?  Prepending everything is *awesome*, because it
>> immediately calls out that this is a group of related attributes.
>> Since they're all global attributes, it's useful to have an immediate
>> visual clue about what you're dealing with.  It also lets you avoid
>> worrying about name collisions with existing attributes.
>
> If you say so tab ;)

On this particular issue, I agree with Tab that it is practical
that they all begin with the same "prefix" - item*.

It is like with namespaces and namespace prefixes - simple and
effective. Easy for authors to understand.

I'm glad to see that a Google internal research has proved it.
--
leif halvard silli