Re: Microdata design philosophies

Hello Tab,

Tab Atkins Jr. wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 15, 2009 at 4:33 PM, Martin McEvoy <martin@weborganics.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> Itemscope, itemprop, itemref...etc..etc don't sound human friendly at all,
>> If microdata were ever to become popular ( god forbid ) think of all
>> gigabaytes of data that's going to take up just because you thought that
>> pre-pending everything with "item" was somehow intuitive, and TBL worries
>> about forward slashes, Im suprised you can sleep at night ;)
>>

> You kidding?  Prepending everything is *awesome*, because it
> immediately calls out that this is a group of related attributes.
> Since they're all global attributes, it's useful to have an immediate
> visual clue about what you're dealing with.  It also lets you avoid
> worrying about name collisions with existing attributes.

If you say so tab ;)

>> Why use microdata at all when microformats already exist,  I cant think of a
>> single microdata use case that isn't already solved by microformats and
>> RDFa,
>>

> Huh?  There are tons of cases not addressed by microformats (at least,
> not addressed easily).  That's the entire reason stuff like RDFa
> *exists*.

No actually it isn't RDFa exist because people want to embed
"specifically" RDF in X/HTML

Microformats age just good design patterns, the reasons for using them
are not the same as RDFa

>> by the way microformats and RDFa work very niceley together on the
>> same page, I would hate to try and mix micro data with microformats or RDFa
>>

> Again, huh?  RDFa and Microdata both mix exactly equally well with
> microformats.  Both of them are nothing more than a set of attributes
> (+ 2 elements for Microdata, but neither of them are visible so they
> don't interact with Microformats at all).  Microformats just uses
> @class, @title, and the contents of elements, which shouldn't
> interfere with either RDFa or Microdata.

You have actually tried mixing the three? I had a terrible experience It
amounted to nothing but "tag soup"...

> I'm pretty sure you can even mix RDFa and Microdata together, since
> Microdata mints entirely new attributes for everything it does.  I
> don't believe there would be any weird collisions.
>

>> I have said this before I still don't think you will be landing any planes
>> with microdata sorry.
>>

> I would hope that no one attempts to land a plane with data embedded
> in an html page!  ^_^

Indeed ;)
> ~TJ

Best wishes

--
Martin McEvoy

http://weborganics.co.uk/

"You may find it hard to swallow the notion that anything as large and apparently inanimate as the Earth is alive."
Dr. James Lovelock, The Ages of Gaia