Re: ISSUE-76: Need feedback on splitting Microdata into separate specification

On Wed, Oct 14, 2009 at 10:03 AM, Jonas Sicking <jonas@sicking.cc> wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 14, 2009 at 9:31 AM, Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com> wrote:
>>
>> Incidentally, I feedback from the Working Group is welcome and encouraged on
>> the topic of whether Microdata should be split out of the main spec, even in
>> advane of the Change Proposal. Right now it's not clear to me who in the
>> Working Group is in favor of or against this change, and why.
>
> I would prefer to keep microdata in the HTML5 spec. I think
> microformats are a very interesting feature and important enough to
> keep in the main specification.
>
> As some will surely wonder what my feelings regarding where RDFa
> should live, I'll put that here too even though I realize it's
> somewhat off topic for this thread. I don't think that RDFa should be
> in the main HTML5 spec since I don't think it's the right solution for
> the web. Reasons outlined here in [1]. Though some of the processing
> model for the xmlns attributes might have been cleared up since that
> email was written.
> [1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2009Sep/0745.html

Arg, forgot to finish that email:

Thus I don't think that putting RDFa in the HTML5 spec is the right
thing to do. However I'm all for publishing a separate specification
that adds RDFa support to HTML. This way, if it turns out that I'm
wrong in my concerns, people can still use RDFa. And in a future
version of HTML we could then add RDFa support if needed.

However I'll also respect a decision from the WG if it decides that
microdata and RDFa should be given equal status and thus neither
should be included in the HTML5 spec.

/ Jonas