Re: HTML5 Issue 11 (encoding detection): I18N WG response...

On Mon, 12 Oct 2009, "Martin J. Dürst" wrote:

> My understanding, from what I learned from Ian, is that HTML5 tries to
> make it easier to write a browser, without doing reverse-engineering.
> But the problem with the current "western demographic" wording is that
> browser implementers will have to re-engineer that term. As Leif
> explains in quite some detail, the definition is indeed quite circular:
> iso-8859-1 was designed for the iron curtain period Western Europe (with
> some limitations), and windows-1252 follows that that. But the term
> "Western" has many meanings, and is used much more differenciated these
> days, and languages completely unrelated to Western Europe (Kurdish,
> Swahili) use iso-8859-1 just because they fit in (and quite some more
> languages for windows-1252).

I agree that we shouldn't mention Europe (and we don't), but I'm not sure
what term would be better than "Western". It seems to be a pretty good fit
based on Wikipedia's map:

   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Western_world

Certainly not perfect, but I'm not sure what would be better without going
into extreme detail and listing specific countries.