Re: ISSUE-55: Re-enable @profile in HTML5 (draft 2)

From: Leif Halvard Silli <xn--mlform-iua@xn--mlform-iua.no>
Date: Wed, 04 Nov 2009 16:16:33 +0100
To: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>
CC: HTML WG <public-html@w3.org>
Julian Reschke On 09-11-04 15.25:

> Henri Sivonen wrote:

>> The reasons against @profile have been that the concept is
>> flawed and that even if the concept weren't flawed, having to
>> make profiles apply to the whole page is a flaw. How does
>> recasting @profile into a <link>-only rel value solve address
>> either conceptual flaws or the limitations in being able to
>> scope profiles to only a part of the HTML document?
>
> Well, that's a separate question. And I do agree that if we
> change the syntax, it would be a good thing to also make it
> more useful, such as allowing to scope a profile declaration.

What do you mean by "scoping"? Is the fact that HTML 4 defines
that the first URI of the @profile attribute is the "significant"
one an example of scoping?

And in that regard: A complete switch to @rel=profile seems to me
to take away the feature that one of the profile URIs is the
"significant" one.

I would like to suggest that @profile is kept fully valid and that
it is said to contain the significant profile. The significant
profile may (re)define/require additional profiles (see below) as
part of its own profile. Thus, if you want to mark the document as
"my kind of html", then you should use @profile.

Possible other profiles URIs inside @profile, as well as profile
URIs found inside @rel=profile, could define *additional*
profiles. A document is not required to have a significant
profile. If the document only has additional profiles, then these
profiles just adds to the default profile of HTML 5 (meaning that
they cannot for instance override HTML 5's predefined rel keywords
mean). Whereas, if there is a significant profile, then the
additional profile formally adds to *that* profile.
--
leif halvard silli