Re: ISSUE-55: Re-enable @profile in HTML5 (draft 2)

It solves the same problem that head/@profile solves; it's an indicator that a certain extension is used. This is relevant when multiple extensions occupy the same extension point in the syntax.

> The reasons against @profile have been that the concept is flawed and that even if the concept weren't
> flawed, having to make profiles apply to the whole page is a flaw. How does recasting @profile into a
> <link>-only rel value solve address either conceptual flaws or the limitations in being able to scope
> profiles to only a part of the HTML document?

Well, that's a separate question. And I do agree that if we change the syntax, it would be a good thing to also make it more useful, such as allowing to scope a profile declaration.

> The reasons in favor of @profile have been that GRDDL (etc.) uses it already. How does introducing a
> syntactic transformation that isn't recognized by pre-existing GRDDL (etc.) tools help GRDDL (etc.)?

It doesn't. Existing specs like GRDDL and DC-HTML still will have to be updated. But at least now there would be something they *can* transition to. Also do not forget that the proposal makes head/@profile conformant again, so there can be a transition period.

BR, Julian