Re: XHTML character entity support

From: Shelley Powers <shelley.just@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 31 Oct 2009 20:22:23 -0500
To: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@mit.edu>
Cc: Alexey Proskuryakov <ap@webkit.org>, HTML WG <public-html@w3.org>
On Sat, Oct 31, 2009 at 7:00 PM, Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@mit.edu> wrote:
> On 10/31/09 5:32 PM, Alexey Proskuryakov wrote:
>>
>> WebKit does not use a validating parser, but it does support XHTML named
>> entities. I'm not quite sure about Firefox.
>
> Likewise.  Firefox loads
> http://hg.mozilla.org/mozilla-central/file/4597c9ddc1ff/content/xml/content/src/xhtml11.dtd
> (which pretty much just defines the relevant named entities) when it detects
> certain doctypes.  See the table at
> http://hg.mozilla.org/mozilla-central/file/4597c9ddc1ff/parser/htmlparser/src/nsExpatDriver.cpp#l287
>
> Firefox can also load external DTDs if they satisfy certain constraints
> (e.g. being installed as part of the app itself).  See
> http://hg.mozilla.org/mozilla-central/file/4597c9ddc1ff/parser/htmlparser/src/nsExpatDriver.cpp#l785
>
> The DTD is only really used for ID attribute names and named entities; no
> validation is performed.
>
> -Boris

Yes, how the browsers work when it comes to DTDs and named entities
has come up in the past [1][2].

Case in point, Firefox, Safari, and Chrome don't allow named entities
in XHTML+RDFa documents, even though the XHTML+RDFa DTD does reference
the named entities.

Oops

But, still, we manage. We use numeric entities.

Shelley

[1] http://www.mail-archive.com/public-rdf-in-xhtml-tf@w3.org/msg04556.html
[2] http://lists.automattic.com/pipermail/wp-trac/2009-February/039148.html