Re: XHTML character entity support

On Oct 31, 2009, at 6:22 PM, Shelley Powers wrote:

> Yes, how the browsers work when it comes to DTDs and named entities
> has come up in the past [1][2].
>
> Case in point, Firefox, Safari, and Chrome don't allow named entities
> in XHTML+RDFa documents, even though the XHTML+RDFa DTD does reference
> the named entities.
>
> Oops
>
> But, still, we manage. We use numeric entities.

I think it's fine to omit named entities from newly minted DTDs. In
fact, probably a good idea since it's the strict XML behavior and
nothing stops you from using an NCR or just a literal unicode
character in new content.

But browsers need to handle named entities when some specific XHTML
DTDs are present, since there is a body of legacy content that depends
on having the XHTML set of entities. Handling content with the XHTML
+RDFa DTD does not have this constraint.

Note: we'd rather not have this behavior in WebKit but we added it due
to compatibility bugs being filed. I expect any XHTML-capable browser
would eventually be pressured to add similar behavior. Non-browser
tools that process XHTML from the Web may also benefit from doing the
same thing.

Regards,
Maciej