RE: what's the language of a document ?

Re: [3] Establish the precedence between http vs meta.

I wish we could eliminate this nonsense altogether.
The description of the content of a document should be self-contained within
the document and not in the protocol.
The protocol should only ever reflect what is in the document to enable
routing and filters etc.
But documents should be self-declared.

[1] Explain clearly that declarations in the http header and the meta
element refer to the document as an object, rather than the text in a
specific element (this is what makes the distinction between single and
multiple values sensible).

This is contrived.
There is no reason an element cannot contain sub-elements that are in
different languages, so why force a single language description.

There is value to letting a processing agent know which languages are
included so it can use appropriate rendering rules and have the right
resources loaded (eg fonts) as opposed to having it run into a new language
and react dynamically.

It is fine to declare that one language is a primary to establish the
overall treatment of the text, or to be the default for text without a
language declaration, but there is no reason to pretend elements are
monolingual when they are not.

[4] Establish the rule that multiple values in the place that has precedence
equates to lang="".

Why would you remove information that has been provided?