Re: Shrinking HTML5 some more — Anne’s Weblog

Anne van Kesteren wrote:
> On Sat, 28 Mar 2009 12:44:58 +0100, Julian Reschke
> <julian.reschke@gmx.de> wrote:
>> looking at <http://annevankesteren.nl/2009/03/more-shrinking-html5>:
>>
>> "I wonder though whether anyone has actually tested Atom clients. Do
>> they really refuse to handle spaces in URLs? Do they really do the
>> right thing per the IRI specification and normalize URLs when the
>> encoding of the feed is not a Unicode encoding? Do any clients that
>> handle IRIs do that properly? I doubt it."
>>
>> Anne, what kind of normalization are you referring to, and how is the
>> encoding of the feed relevant for that?
>
> See variant b of Step 1 of the algorithm defined in section 3.1 of RFC
> 3987.

Interesting.

That distinction doesn't make sense to me. Why normalize when the source
is ISO8859-1, and not when it was UTF-8? And what if the consumer
doesn't even know the encoding (is the source encoding part of the XML
infoset? I guess not).

BR, Julian