Re: "Web addresses in HTML 5" for review (ISSUE-56 urls-webarch)

From: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>
Date: Wed, 18 Mar 2009 16:13:09 +0100
To: Marco Neumann <marco.neumann@gmail.com>
CC: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>, Dan Connolly <connolly@w3.org>, public-html@w3.org
Marco Neumann wrote:
>> I recall testing with (non-URI) IRIs some time ago, and they were simply not
>> supported.
>>

> Can You give us an example of a "(non-URI) IRI"  ?

Any IRI that contains a non-ASCII character.

That being said, Anne is right in that only IE doesn't seem to support
IRIs (it sends the ISO8859-1 codes in \xnn notation). Which means that
currently there is no interoperability for this, and thus, IMHO, XHR (1)
should just state they aren't allowed.

*If* they're going to be allowed, the next question is whether the
document encoding has any influence in the way they are converted to
URIs (which sadly seems to be needed in HTML5).

BR, Julian