Re: View Source

On 3/17/09, Lachlan Hunt <lachlan.hunt@lachy.id.au> wrote:
> Jeff Schiller wrote:
> > I would argue that this IS required for interoperability in the case of
> HTMLized SVG in text/html:
> >

>  No, what is required for interoperability is that the way the DOM is
> serialised is defined, and the spec already does that in the sections
> defining innerHTML.

Of course how 'the DOM is serialized' must be defined.  But on its own
how does that help an author get a proper serialized DOM so they can
stuff it into existing SVG tools?

> > Interoperability with tools like Adobe Illustrator and Inkscape that
> > expect XML.
> >

>  Are you asking for the spec to more thoroughly define how to serialise a
> given DOM in a way that guarantees well-formedness, even in such cases where
> that can't be done losslessly?  There are some DOMs that can be produced by
> text/html which simply cannot be represented in well-formed XML documents,
> so such things would need to be modified in some way.

I'd like to understand this a little better here, since I'm coming
from the XHTML+SVG side.

I'm just talking about somebody authoring:

<svg><circle cx=50 cy=50 fill=blue>

And some poor user viewing the source, copying that SVG fragment into
another document and trying to bring it up in Inkscape...

Regards,
Jeff