@accesskey and multiple characters

From: Hallvord R. M. Steen <hallvord@opera.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Jul 2009 12:03:06 +0200
To: public-html@w3.org
Hi,
when Ian added the @accesskey definitions to the spec (as currently
defined in [1] ), he said in an E-mail [2]:

> For future extensibility, I have also required tokens with more than one
> character to be ignored for now. We can later add identifiers for various
> purposes, e.g. accesskey="help" to mean that the user agent's default
> "help" key should be used, whatever that is.

This unfortunately rules out using @accesskey as a replacement for certain
things sites are already doing with JS - the example I have in mind is
GMail's "gi" shortcut for going back to the inbox. I don't know if this is
more important than the potential future extensibility. I'd lean towards
allowing multi-character shortcuts since they are already used and using a
<command>+@accesskey construct could make GMail more accessible to AT UAs..

[1]
http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/multipage/editing.html#the-accesskey-attribute
[2] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2009May/0027.html

--
Hallvord R. M. Steen, Core Tester, Opera Software
http://www.opera.com http://my.opera.com/hallvors/