Re: Decision Policy [was: Intended Audience]

Philip TAYLOR wrote:

> Dear Sam -- May I ask for clarification on just one
> point of your recent message :
>
> Sam Ruby wrote:
>
>> a) I've made a number of references to 'independent'.  I recognize
>> that that is entirely subjective, and up to the chairs to evaluate.
>> hsivonen, maciej, and lachy often agree on things, but generally are
>> considered independent.  By contrast, if an issue is raised by jonas
>> and ONLY endorsed by rsayre and dbaron, depending on the issue at
>> hand, that may not be recognized by the chairs as sufficient.
>
> I simply do not understand the rationale behind this.
>
> On what basis are you (as Chairman) willing to accept
> hsivonen,  maciej, and lachy as three independent witnesses,
> while denying the same status to jonas, rsayre and dbaron ?
>
> And to address the same point from a different perspective,
> by /whom/ are "hsivonen, maciej, and lachy generally considered
> independent" ?

It is a fair question, but the answer will depend on context.  I
apologize is the example that I hoped would illustrate my point instead
served to add confusion.

The point I was trying to make is that, in the rather unlikely event
that employees of any one company were to begin voting as a block and in
variance with the wishes of the remaining members of the working group,
that would be taken into consideration.  How that would affect the
outcome would depend on the issue under consideration.

The larger point is that any rules that can be defined can be gamed.
I've been around long enough to see many of the most common tactics, and
as long as I am here, I will take any and all necessary action if and
when such is appropriate.  Of course, my ability to do so is predicated
on my ability to develop and retain the trust of this working group.

Meanwhile, this point should serve as some guidance for people who wish
to establish that there is sufficient support for whatever issue or
document that you might wish to pursue.  If you are employed by a
browser vendor, reach out to competitors.  Better yet, reach out to and
actively include people who produce content.

- Sam Ruby