Re: HTML is a declarative mark-up language

Jirka Kosek wrote:
> Spec in 4.6.1 says:
>
> Content model:
> Transparent, but there must be no interactive content descendant.
>
> Now tell me how can I find which elements I can use inside <a>?

This is a known problem and I'm fairly sure I've raised the issue before
somewhere.  However, I expect this problem to be solved either by the
index of elements, or a separate table, which clearly indicates which
categories each element belongs to.

Such a table would need to list all the elements as table headers down
the left side, and each of the categories as headers along the top.
Then within the cells, indicate which elements are in which categories.

But note that the Transparent content model is special, because it
effectively means the element inherits the content model of its parent
element, or other ancestor in the case of multiple nested transparent
elements.  So the answer to your question above is that it depends.

This is something at least I intend to include in the HTML 5 Reference
(formerly known as The Web Developer's Guide to HTML5, it was renamed
today after IRC discussion.)

--
Lachlan Hunt - Opera Software
http://lachy.id.au/