Re: HTML is a declarative mark-up language

Roy T. Fielding wrote:

> On Jan 28, 2009, at 6:11 PM, Maciej Stachowiak wrote:
>> On Jan 28, 2009, at 5:47 PM, Roy T. Fielding wrote:
>>
>>> If I ask a simple question, like:
>>>
>>>   what does the name attribute on the "a" (anchor) element mean?
>>
>> The name attribute on the "a" element is no longer conforming for
>> documents.
>
> Ah, well, in that case you won't be needing that "text/html" media type.

That's a non sequitur.

>> It is considered obsolete in favor of using "id". The id attribute is
>> defined here: "http://www.w3.org/TR/html5/semantics.html#the-id". The
>> "a" element itself is also defined (it now represents a hyperlink
>> rather than an anchor).
>
> Usually, such things are called deprecated, noted as such in the spec,
> and remain part of the language definition.  The reason for that should
> be self-evident.

Please explain why:

* The xmp, listing and plaintext elements from HTML 2.0 and 3.2 are not
   defined in HTML 4.01
* The font element from HTML 4.01 and XHTML 1.0 is not defined in
   XHTML 1.1
* The urn and methods attributes from the a element in HTML 2.0 are not
   defined in HTML 3.2
* The name attribute from HTML 4.01 and XHTML 1.0 is not defined in
   XHTML 1.1

It seems there is a clear precedent for dropping elements and attributes
from subsequent revisions of HTML.  I don't see why HTML 5 should be
treated any differently in this respect.

--
Lachlan Hunt - Opera Software
http://lachy.id.au/