Re: ACTION-95, ISSUE-65: Plan to publish a new WD of HTML-5

Steven Faulkner writes:

> In order to gather data on the veracity of statements about 'what web
> devlopers want' I have emailed the web standards group posing the
> question
>
> "As a web developer do you find the 'HTML5 the mark up language' a
> useful document?"

That sounds like useful feedback to have; thanks for doing that.

However it doesn't follow that all useful documents should be published.
If different members of this working group between them produced half a
dozen guides to HTML 5 for web developers it is likely that all of them
would be found useful by at least some developers -- but I don't think
it would make sense for us to publish all of them.

And of course it doesn't follow that because a document is useful its
content should be normative.

> and have asked for feedback on twitter:
>
> Is HTML5 mark up spec http://shrinkster.com/13zy useful compared to
> the fullblown spec http://shrinkster.com/13zz use #html5ml in reply

That question implies that the former is a subset of the latter, which I
understand it isn't (and isn't aiming to be).  And it implies they could
co-exist in the current forms, which is awkward given their competing
claims to be normative.

I believe that Hixie has said the HTML 5 spec will eventually use
alternative style-sheets or similar to produce partially views intended
for specific audiences.  That obviously avoids any conflicts in what is
normative.

Smylers