Re: Who is the Intended Audience of the Markup Spec Proposal?

On Jan 27, 2009, at 05:12, Michael(tm) Smith wrote:
> But as it stands now, the draft is in part a conscious attempt at
> experimenting a bit with doing things a little differently -- at
> trying to offer a contrasting alternatives to test both some of the
> assumptions/choices that went into the design of the HTML5
> spec (e.g., the choice you made to use prose descriptions for the
> content models) and also those that went into the HTML4 spec (in
> terms of that document's scope and structure).

To me, the it looks more than experimenting "a bit". Implementing the
system for producing "HTML 5: The Markup Language" seems like no small
undertaking.

I think others could better understand the reasons in favor of
publishing "HTML 5: The Markup Language" as a WD claiming normativity
if you could elaborate on why you judged this experiment important
enough to commit so much effort to it.

I realize that everyone decides what they volunteer their time for,
but the choice of taking the initiative to re-express an area that
"HTML 5" already covers seems significant when considered in the
context of the possibility of opting to edit areas that aren't yet
covered, such as the rendering section to name one that actually
overlaps with the *informative* parts of "HTML 5: The Markup
Language". I'd like to understand the significance better.

--
Henri Sivonen
hsivonen@iki.fi