Re: ISSUE-54: doctype-legacy-compat

On Mon, Jan 26, 2009 at 12:06 PM, Anne van Kesteren wrote:

> On Mon, 26 Jan 2009 06:03:15 +0100, Leif Halvard Silli wrote:
>>
>> [...] And it is easy to explain that some old tools expect old doctype
>> syntax, and that, for them, the HTML 5 specification has this SYSTEM variant
>> of the DOCTYPE, with an about:URI in order to formally fulfill the DOCTYPE
>> syntax.
>
> FWIW, <!DOCTYPE html> also fulfills the DOCTYPE syntax. It's just that some
> tools cannot generate all possible correct DOCTYPEs.

In their defense, <!DOCTYPE html> is completely useless in XML (and
the tools we're talking about are mostly XML tools, even if
serializing as "something that looks like HTML").
But yes, <!DOCTYPE html> fulfills the DOCTYPE syntax, so XML tools
might very well allow you to output it too, whichever the
serialization (XML or HTML).

--
Thomas Broyer