Re: "Video, Audio, and Media in HTML 5" (and outline/sketch of other author/developer ideas)

Ben Millard wrote:
> Lachlan Hunt wrote:
>> Dan Connolly wrote:
>>> I started outlining a successive elaboration guide to HTML 5
>>
>> Do you intend to make this follow a cookbook approach, which primarily
>> focuses on how to create specific kinds of content based on use cases?
>> e.g. Like the following use cases:
>
> This "cookbook" approach was discussed during the meeting at W3C TPAC in
> Boston 2007. I thought this is what Lachlan's work was going to be. I
> was dissapointed to see it take a different, less approachable form.

My intention was and still is to provide use cases in the authoring
guide, alongside the description of the vocabulary which is in there
now.  This is why I had concerns about overlap between Dan's proposal
and my draft.  But my intention was never to write my document in a
cookbook style.  It has always been about describing the language and
how to use it in a way that's suitable for use as a reference manual.

Whereas my authoring guide will provide in depth technical details about
the language and syntax, if I've understood Dan's proposal properly,
Dan's will gloss over them in favour of providing lots more
copy-and-paste examples in hands-on style.

However, I think before proceeding, Dan and I should discuss this
(probably just over IRC) and make sure we're both clear about what each
of us are doing to avoid too much overlap.

--
Lachlan Hunt - Opera Software
http://lachy.id.au/