Re: cloneNode() and script execution

On Tue, 20 Jan 2009 11:44:30 +0900, Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>
wrote:

>> Not current practise according to my tests (except for Safari which
>> happily re-executes many more scripts than the rest of us - perhaps
>> Safari just didn't come across those compat problems yet? Pure luck?
>> ;-) )
>
> We haven't run into issues with this as far as I know but I am willing
> to believe they exist, and we are not wedded to the current behavior.

Quoting the developer who fixed the last of these issues we found:

> Not really a bug except in the sense "we're incompatible with MSIE in
> an obscure way and because the world is such a fucked up place the
> chance of that causing super-bad problems is roughly 100 %".

:)

> One thing I am curious about is what exactly the Trident behavior is
> here, since apparently Gecko's behavior is an attempt to partly emulate
> it.

For cloneNode()? I wish I could give a really good answer, but I'm having
problems getting my test cases here to run in IE8 - perhaps it's just "too
beta" and unstable. :-( It keeps throwing errors about "unexpected"
property access or method calls. I'm not sure if it's worth the time to
try to make these tests run in the beta version.

--
Hallvord R. M. Steen
Core JavaScript tester, Opera Software