Re: Proposed amends to <small> element

Ben Millard wrote:
> When I've have stumbled across pages with legalese, they didn't use
> <small>. But I have seen continuous bold across multiple sentences and
> the use of uppercase for whole sections, such as "14. DISCLAIMER OF
> WARRANTIES" on this page:
>
> * <http://www.adobe.com/misc/copyright.html>

The use cases for small was not intended to include large amounts of
text in copyright licences, EULAs and contracts.  It's intended for the
short copyright notices and other legalese often found in the footers of
pages.

e.g. This example is based on the footer used on Slashdot. (<small> has
been added):

respective owners. Comments are owned by the Poster. The Rest ©
1997-2008 SourceForge, Inc.</small></p>

Or this example based on Google:

(Note: Google actually uses <font size="-2"> in place of <small>)

Although it doesn't have to be used only in the footer.  It could be
used, for example, to mark up similar notices for multimedia embedded in
a page, in which case it could go inside a <figure> element along with
the embedded content.

--
Lachlan Hunt - Opera Software
http://lachy.id.au/