Re: Placing elements in the HTML namespace

Ian Hickson wrote on 01/15/2009 02:43:47 PM:

> On Thu, 15 Jan 2009, James Graham wrote:
> >
> > The requirement that UAs place all HTML elements in the HTML namespace
> > does not make sense for all classes of UA. For html5lib I plan to make
> > it optional whether HTML elements are assigned to the HTML namespace so

> > that people using APIs that have a significant namespace tax do not
have
> > to pay that tax in the common case.
>
> This wouldn't be non-conforming, since you don't expose a (W3C) DOM. The
> requirement is a black-box requirement that is only testable if the UA
> also supports Selectors (with namespaces), XPath, W3C DOM scripting, or
> such like.

One of the possible backends of the existing html5lib parser *is* a W3C
DOM.

I previously made the suggestion that the ignoring of namespaces could be
something individual "treebuilders" (in the html5lib sense) do, but James
seemed unenthusiastic about that suggestion.

> --

- Sam Ruby