Re: Conditional branch in tree builder based on DOM state

On Jan 3, 2009, at 19:13, Maciej Stachowiak wrote:

> I'll tentatively agree that iit doesn't sound like a big
> complication (we do indeed have info besides the node in the stack
> of open elements). I would have to ask one of our parsing experts to
> be sure. One thing I wonder about: would this require some new
> behavior to be implemented for the case where a node has children,
> but not parser-added children?

The proposed change is checking a hasParserInsertedChildren flag on a
parser-internal stack node object instead asking the DOM element
wrapped by the stack node object whether it has children. No new
behaviors in response to the result of the children check are being
proposed.

To get different behavior by checking a parser-internal flag vs.
querying the live DOM, you'd need to have a situation where a script
uses DOM APIs to insert stuff into a misnested active formatting
element that doesn't have any parser-inserted children at that point
in time, which is unlikely to happen in any remotely-reasonable
scripting scenario. It seems to me that this would require running the
script from a timeout/interval and having the parser suspend for event
loop spin at the right point. Perhaps this case is so narrow anyway
that we don't even need every implementation to do the children check
the same way.

--
Henri Sivonen
hsivonen@iki.fi