Re: summary="" in HTML5 ISSUE-32

Ian Hickson wrote:
>>> That's in fact exactly what HTML5 does today.
>> No. The current spec _obsoletes_ the old feature, and offers an existing
>> feature as something better. That's pretty far from "exact".
>
> The closest HTML5 comes to "deprecating" anything is the "downplayed
> errors" concept, which summary="" is party to. <caption> is redefined to
> cover all the features summary="" had, and is better.
>
> I don't really see how that is different from what Julian suggested.

A "downplayed error" is still an error. That is different from something
being valid, but deprecated.

Furthermore, <caption> does NOT do what @summary is supposed to do. Compare:

"This attribute provides a summary of the table's purpose and structure
for user agents rendering to non-visual media such as speech and
Braille." -- <http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/struct/tables.html#adef-summary>

with

"The caption element represents the title of the table that is its
parent, if it has a parent and that is a table element.

The caption element takes part in the table model.

The caption element should be included for any table where the reader
might have difficulty understanding the content or where the table's
structure would not be obvious to the user of a screen reader. The
element's contents should describe what the purpose of the table is,
along with any information that could be useful for understanding and
using the table." --
<http://dev.w3.org/html5/spec/Overview.html#the-caption-element>

I further note that the current definition in HTML 5 is inconsistent.
First it says that it is the "title of the table", then it describes
something different.

BR, Julian