Re: summary="" in HTML5 ISSUE-32

On Thu, 26 Feb 2009, Philip TAYLOR wrote:
> Ian Hickson wrote:
> > >
> > > Doesn't that require that both samples be taken from the same
> > > homogeneous population ?
> >
> > The fact that first two points are so closely correlated means that
> > the two samples probably are both proportional samples of the same
> > overall population, which is why we can draw the conclusion from the
> > third data point from only one sample.
>
> We are getting dangerously off-topic, but I disagree. There may well be
> a correlation between the prevalence of lemons and the prevalence of
> cones, yet no such correlation between (the prevalence of) either lemons
> and apples or between cones and apples.

Yup, that's possible too. It's just less likely.

It's also possible that a random sample of the total population happens to
pick the exact wrong set of files. We could look at one sample and see
that there are no files that use the <tfoot> element, when in fact every
single other page in the population uses it. However, that is unlikely.

Statistics is all about probabilities.

Again, if you are not satisfied with the methodology of the studies that
have been done to date -- and I'm certainly not suggesting they are
perfect -- then I urge you to do your own studies with even fairer, more
random, more representative samples. The more data the better.