Re: summary="" in HTML5 ISSUE-32

On Thu, 26 Feb 2009 12:15:54 +0100, Steven Faulkner <faulkner.steve@gmail.com> wrote:

> Another point to consider is that even if HTML5 included a visible
> @summary, it should not mean that browsers should make the @summary
> visible in HTML 4

Yes it would. Browsers use the same code path for HTML5 as for HTML4 content. At best you could make summary="" visible in standards mode but not in quirks mode, but I'd bet that would still "break" too many pages for browser vendords to be able to do (and we generally don't want to add more differences between the modes anyway). I've added

   table:before { content:attr(summary); display:table-caption }

to my user style sheet to see what it looks like. Now I just need a list of random pages that use summary... Ah, here we go: http://canvex.lazyilluminati.com/survey/2007-07-17/analyse.cgi/tagattr/table/summary

> (or any non HTML 5 pages) pages as that would
> contradict the HTML 4 spec would it not?

Right, it would contradict HTML4.

--
Simon Pieters
Opera Software