Re: What's the problem? "Reuse of 1998 XHTML namespace is potentially misleading/wrong"

Philip TAYLOR wrote:
> Excellent start, but "other differences" fails to
> identify to which of the vocabularies each point
> refers.

This is meant to be a diff(XHTML2,HTML5).  Both vocabularies differ from
HTML4.  Obviously, I have an opinion as to which differs by more, and
whether such differences are warranted, but for the moment, I'm simply
trying to establish the case that no matter what the history and
motivations are in this case, the place that we are destined to arrive
at should we continue the current course and speed is two incompatible
Recommendations.

So XHTML2 differs from HTML5, and HTML5 differs from XHTML2 is all that
I am trying to establish at this point.

> It might also be diplomatic to ask the
> XHTML2 Working Group whether they feel that they
> are "actively defining vocabularies using the same
> namespace [as this WG] without coordinating their
> efforts", since otherwise we risk being accused of
> misrepresenting their opinion.

I thought I said that that I intended to do exactly that?

In any case, the fact that both the HTML Working Group and the  XHTML2
Working Group are actively developing a vocabulary is not in dispute.
The fact that the editors drafts make use of the same namespace is not
in dispute.

And if we can avoid righteous finger pointing, the fact that these two
Working Groups are not coordinating our efforts is also something that I
doubt anybody would care to dispute.

- Sam Ruby