Re: Are new void elements really a good idea?

Sam Ruby wrote:
>> On Aug 30, 2008, at 23:01, Lachlan Hunt wrote:
>>> <eventsource src="foo"/> is allowed.  Isn't that sufficient?
>
> If a rule can be adopted to avoid one or the other types of additions, then
> a generic authoring tool presented with a DOM containing an unrecognized
> element could adopt policy that is future proof: either <name></name> or
> <name/>, depending on the approach selected.
>
> Looking at the existing elements and additions, the rule that Lachlan
> suggested seems appropriate.

Note that my suggestion to use the trailing slash only relates to
serialising known void elements using a tool like XSLT that is clearly
optimised for serialising XML, not a generic way of representing any
empty element, and especially not in any way that would have an effect
on parsing.

--
Lachlan Hunt - Opera Software
http://lachy.id.au/