Re: Looking for more editors

Ian Hickson wrote:

[snip]

> Editing a spec to the level of quality of HTML5 requires:
>
> - experience writing Web pages and Web applications.

For this particular specification, yes; not for
specifications to the same level in a different area.

> - experience writing test suites for browsers.
>
> - experience with prioritisation of bug fixing for browser development.
>
> - the ability to write tools to perform studies of Web content.

I challenge these three.

> - an understanding of how the Web is supposed to work (standards) and how
> it actually works (browser bugs, common authoring mistakes).

Agreed.

> - contacts within the industry, especially in browser vendors, who trust
> you and are willing to work with you (e.g. letting you know about
> standards-related security problems before they fix them, working with you
> to find good solutions; letting you know their needs based on their future
> products even before they announce them; etc).

Challenged.

  > - the ability to actually write technical specifications that don't leave
> anything undefined.
>
> - the ability to take many view points and make a decision based on them.

I agree with both of these.

> - the ability to defend a decision and resist flip-flopping.

I would prefer "the ability to reverse a decision when
it becomes clear that it was unsound"

> - the ability to respond to feedback in detail in a manner that is
> comprehensible and clear.
>
> - the willingness to seek out more feedback and actively recruit
> participants and opinions.
>
> - a good technical grounding and understanding of fundamental computer and
> programming concepts.

I agree with the preceding three.

> - a pragmatic attitude that is willing to put the needs of the users,
> authors, and implementors (in that order) far ahead of technical purity.

I challenge that one as well.

Philip TAYLOR