Re: Splitting up the spec

Jim Jewett wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 24, 2008 at 5:21 PM, Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@mit.edu> wrote:
>> As people keep saying (including the ones advocating splitting things up),
>> authors should be reading authoring guides, not specifications.
>
> Traditionally, those who do rely on authoring guides have often produced
> sloppy vendor-specific code.  That is because the guides tell them to,
> in both prose and example.

The authoring guide, of which I am the current editor, is going to be
significantly higher quality than many older HTML4 tutorials commonly
found on the web which are notorious for providing misinformation, and
will in fact provide much of the information for writing conforming
documents in a way similar to that which you and others have been asking
for.  Although the guide will be non-normative, rather than a separate
normative specification, it will be a much more suitable document for
most authors to refer to than the spec itself.

--
Lachlan Hunt - Opera Software
http://lachy.id.au/