Re: a/@ping discussion (ISSUE-1 and ISSUE-2), was: An HTML language specification vs. a browser specification

On Mon, 24 Nov 2008 22:59:55 -0000, Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>
wrote:

> I'm also concerned that UAs may implement the protocol part and neglect
> the UI part (which essentially is what almost happened in Firefox 3).

I'd like to point out that google.com is already tracking links without
exposing that fact in UI:

<a onmousedown="return clk(this.href,'','','res','1','')" class="l"
href="http://example.com/foo">example.com/foo</a>

Lack of UI for ping attribute couldn't be worse than that, but good
implementation could improve the situation.

There doesn't have to be visible UI - for example browsers could suppress
ping attribute when in Private/Incognito mode.

--
regards, Kornel Lesinski