Re: Splitting up the spec

On Sun, 23 Nov 2008, Jim Jewett wrote:

> I just want to say that documenting Window, History, Location, etc is a
> great thing, and long overdue; it just isn't part of the Markup
> Language.

In principle I agree, and if we were designing the Web from scratch then
I'd definitely be arguing for us to keep things orthogonal. I just don't
think that at this point, given the incredibly deep and complex
interactions that have been foisted upon us, that we can split them out
without an incredible amount of pain.

(This is why I support splitting out the storage and Web Socket sections,
which depend on other parts of HTML5 but are not themselves depended upon,
and thus could be taken out and put in their own specs. I don't think it's
urgent, but I think it would make sense to do it around last call, say.)

On Sun, 23 Nov 2008, Jim Jewett wrote:

> > Would providing views of the spec that hide certain topics, e.g.
> > implementation requirements or scripting APIs, address your request?
>
> Yes, in theory.
>
> I'm not so sure, in practice.  But that still isn't a "no".

Ok. The plan is to try doing this around last call.