Re: An HTML language specification

On Nov 21, 2008, at 11:57 AM, Philip TAYLOR (Ret'd) wrote:

> Boris Zbarsky wrote:
>
>> Odd.  I could have sworn that there were people (NOT Maciej, mind
>> you, so I'm not sure why you're attacking him on this issue)
>
> I'm not /attacking/ anybody !  I just felt that to
> refer to the idea of "delegating" a definition
> to prose (or "relegating" it, for that matter) was
> putting a slant on it that was unjustified.  If
> Maciej had used more neutral language in the first
> please, I probably would not even have commented on
> his message.

To the best of my understanding, "delegate" carries no negative
connotation". I meant it roughly in sense 5 from <http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/delegate
 >: "5. to commit (powers, functions, etc.) to another as agent or
deputy". It is generally considered a virtue to delegate
appropriately, and a vice to delegate inappropriately.

I think you may have read a negative connotation into my statement
because of the similarity to the word "relegate", which means things
such as "to send into exile" or "to assign to a place of
insignificance or of oblivion". But "delegate" does not mean anything
like that.

Regards,
Maciej