Re: Splitting up the spec

Jim Jewett writes:

> Jonas Sicking wrote:
>
> == Why splitting out error handling is a bad idea.
>
> > First of all the reason that we are in this situation with HTML being a
> > total mess to parse is in large parts because the HTML4 spec left error
> > handling undefined. This resulted in different browsers doing different
>
> I agree that a HTML consumer needs both parsing and error handing.
>
> But a HTML producer needs neither.

Right, so there would be readers of the HTML 5 spec to which only a
subset of the content is applicable.  Ian has already said that his
intention is that style-sheets could be used to display only the parts
relevant to particular audiences, such as producers.

So long as a cut-down view such as this were made available, such that
producers don't need to read anything extraneous, would you be satisfied
(even though the means of editing that content happened to be as part of
a larger document)?

And if so, do you think it is important that such audience-specific
views are made available soon, or is it acceptable to wait (so long as
this is done sometime before publication)?

Smylers