Re: Who is the Intended Audience of the Markup Spec Proposal?

On Nov 19, 2008, at 20:39, Lachlan Hunt wrote:

> section 6.5 lists repetition template attributes that were dropped
> from the spec

This is because I haven't updated the whattf.org HTML5 schemas after
Hixie merged WF2 into HTML 5.

> Also note that the formal grammar used in the draft doesn't actually
> seem to be defined anywhere and seems to be some kind of ad hoc
> syntax partially inspired by that used in DTDs,

The syntax is RELAX NG Compact Syntax. The syntax for the regular
expressions appearing in the document is the XSD regular expression
syntax. (Instead of pulling the regexps from schema comment, I think
it would be nicer to pull the same descriptions Validator.nu uses as
UI strings: http://wiki.whatwg.org/wiki/MicrosyntaxDescriptions )

I guess the methodology behind the document isn't clear to everyone on
the list. The document is not manually written. It has been generated
from various sources using XSLT. The document has some original text,
but a lot of content in pulled in and mashed up from the HTML 5 spec
proper, the whattf.org HTML5+ARIA schema used by html5.validator.nu
and from the UA style sheet of WebKit.

I think the document is very cool as documentation of the whattf.org
schema and works as a reference for people who are comfortable with
reading RELAX NG. (I link to it from the Validator.nu documentation.)
However, I don't support putting it forward as a normative spec.

> with some weird anomalies with the way attributes are seemingly
> included within the element's content model.

That's a pretty cool feature in RELAX NG, actually.

--
Henri Sivonen
hsivonen@iki.fi