Re: Why "Platform Core" and "HTML5" are in the same spec

Ian Hickson wrote:

> On Mon, 17 Nov 2008, Nikunj Mehta wrote:
>
> > SQL (5.10.2) and unstructured storage (5.10.1) are good examples.
> The only
> > reasons for keeping these parts in the HTML5 spec that I have
> seen are
> > that these pieces are stable and the same editor would be working on
> > these sections as the Platform Core. Neither sound good enough
> reasons
> > to me.
>
> They're not particularily good reasons, but splitting those two
> parts up
> would delay progress by a year or more, and that is unacceptable IMHO.

I would have thought that splitting out, say, the SQL stuff into a
separate specification might allow the HTML spec to reach completion
sooner as it would not be held back by a tangental area that clearly
still needs a lot of work before it could be considered a fully
usable specification. Splitting it out would allow people working on
the SQL spec time to decide and write up exactly which subset of SQL
is supported without worrying about holding up the entire project.
Such decisions and documentation would surely be very important for
the production of multiple interoperable implementations of a
candidate recommendation.

--
Toby A Inkster
<mailto:mail@tobyinkster.co.uk>