Re: An HTML language specification vs. a browser specification

Jim Jewett wrote:
> Let's just stipulate that
>
> (1)  Ian is an expert at parsing
> (2)  Ian is also an expert at other facets of HTML
> (3)  Ian is over-worked

Accepted!

> The question is how to fix number three.  Rob (and Roy and Phillip?)
> believe that the solution is
>
> (a)  Break up the spec.
> (b)  Leave Ian with the non-parsing portions, that seem to interest him most.
> (c)  Have someone else deal with parsing.

I assume that Ian has said something that implies (b).

I have no problem with this, assuming the order is:

1) Find someone else to deal with parsing
2) Split up the spec
3) Leave Ian top deal with the non-parsing portions, and have the
    someone else deal with parsing

That assumes that said person is going to actually stick to our charter
in terms of parsing compatibility, of course.

It also assumes the resulting overhead of reconciling the multiple specs
will be lower than the overhead of just editing them (something that
Ian's probably the one to ask about).

> Note that the "someone else" doesn't have to have as much knowledge
> and experience as Ian, so long as he or she has enough time and
> interest to compensate.

I can live with this, assuming he or she is also able to write a
specification that doesn't leave things undefined (a rare skill, actually).

Come to think of it, I'm fine with someone doing the splitting before an
editor is found, provided that it doesn't use up any of Ian's time
(Michael Smith's document is indeed a good model here).  Worst-case, the
splitting is just wasted effort by the person handling it, then.

> The problem is that the actual split is difficult, and Ian isn't sure
> it would be a good use of his time.

The other problem is we have no one even suggested as a possible editor
for the parser spec.

-Boris