Re: An HTML language specification vs. a browser specification

Hi Boris,

On Nov 16, 2008, at 10:56 AM, Boris Zbarsky wrote:

> Robert J Burns wrote:
>> I didn't intend to cause such a reaction. I thought it was clear
>> that the strengths of the current editor was in the area of browser
>> behavior (and not so much parsing and certainly not HTML authoring
>> vocabulary).
>
> I will note that you have not answered the question Maciej and I
> raised.  So again.  Who, in you opinion, is more qualified to
> address HTML parsing?
>
>> TAG and others have wondered whether the work on HTML 5 could
>> benefit from some division of labor and I simply wanted to suggest
>> that those three areas would be a great way to modularize this
>> effort.
>
> The prerequisite to this (even if desirable, and I urge you to read
> Ian's old posts about interdepencies before deciding whether it's
> desirable) is finding editors.  Which comes back to the question of
> who is qualified to edit.

I think this question of "who will edit?"  that keeps coming up is a
complete red herring. As a WG, I am confident we could find competent
editors for all of this (there is a lot of talent surrounding the W3C
and the HTML WG). The point is we need to find a way out of this
morass we're in. We have a spec that continues to grow without bound.
We have an editor who is extremely competent when it comes to browser
behavior issues, but not so much when it comes to parsing and HTML
vocabulary (markup and DOM). So if we decide to split these things up,
I'm confident we can find editors to step forward to take on these
tasks. The key thing is that we would be able to make the draft(s)
serve the needs of users and authors and not only a few browser
implementors.

Take care,
Rob