Re: An HTML language specification vs. a browser specification

On Nov 14, 2008, at 11:24 PM, Jonas Sicking wrote:
> How browsers parse HTML *is* how HTML must be parsed. Or at least that
> is the case if you presume that current HTML has been written for
> browsers and by testing what works in current browsers.

Which is obviously false.  Most content is written programatically or
for tools that existed in the distant past (none of my content, for
example, has ever been written by testing what works in current
browsers even back in the days when current actually meant something).
That's why my content doesn't have to be regenerated every six months.

Quite frankly, the only people who hold that view of a browser-centric
Web are the browser vendors, which is why everyone else complains so
much about their crappy software.  HTML is not defined by browser
behavior; specifying it that way will just guarantee that the finished
specification will eventually be called something other than HTML5.

....Roy