Re: "HTML: The Markup Language" (draft attempt an "HTML producers" spec)

Mark Baker <distobj@acm.org>, 2008-11-13 15:01 -0500:

> On Thu, Nov 13, 2008 at 2:45 PM, Michael(tm) Smith <mike@w3.org> wrote:
> I don't believe there should be a "producers spec" and a "consumers
> spec".  I believe there should be a single "language spec"

OK, I see. So this particular draft is definitely an attempt at
scoping just a "producers" spec, and not a complete "language
spec" as you've described. But the scope can change if we decide
it needs to. We could decide the scope should change, and the
document would end up morphing into (or being replaced by)
something that is more of a language spec. Or the scope also
remain the way it is now.

> - in the same vein as HTML 4, CSS, SVG, etc..  What you've got
> is closer to a language specification than the current HTML 5
> WD, but it falls short in the way I previously described.

Given that it "falls short" in that way intentionally, I'm not
sure "falls short" is the description I'd choose -- though I do
understand what you mean.

> I understand that a language spec wasn't your intention, but that's
> the best way forward IMO.

Others have said that as well, but we've also heard expressed that
a "producers" spec would be worthwhile to some.

  --Mike

--
Michael(tm) Smith
http://people.w3.org/mike/