micro-process on @headers and friends [was: Re: how to collaborate with the HTML WG (what works)]

Caveat: this is my interpretation of the state of the process.  I
haven't reviewed the
HTML WG minutes to dot i's and cross t's.

On 7 Nov 2008, at 6:17 AM, Steven Faulkner wrote:

> Hi al,
>
> >Having removed some of the spurious sources of apparent
> difference, we were able to report into the HTML WG meeting on
> Thursday a status of the issue that had >some basic agreements
> about requirements and a plan for next-steps action.  The HTML WG
> agreed.
>
> Unfortunately I was not able to be there on thursday, after having
> read the minutes of the html wg meet in relation to table headers,
> I didn't get a sense that the HTML WG were any closer to agreement
> on issues surrounding the implementaion of headers/id in the spec.

We weren't any closer after Thursday than after Tuesday in terms of
stating the
feasible range for a solution.  Or any farther away.  What we worked
out on
Tuesday survived intact.  What we had that was new was that we had
_both_ groups on
board with where we wound up Tuesday.  The observers on Tuesday were
not in a position
to commit the HTML WG, but they definitely helped us get to where we
could take
out story into HTML WG and have it take its place in their working
baseline without a ripple.

> Can you provide a clarification?
> Specifically was agreement reached that "@headers pointing to TD"
> or "TH with @headers pointing to another TH" need to be made
> conformant in the HTML5 spec in order to provide the required
> accessibility hooks for current AT to be able to convey
> relationships in complex data tables to users? Or one of these
> mechanisms will still be required for irregular data tables, once
> the 'smart headers algorithm' is implemented in popular browsers
> and future versions of AT?

No.  The progress was in process dimension.  Establish next steps.
Ben Millard got the action to put together a proposal that includes
both markup and algorithm aligned.  He is supposed to circulate this
to XTECH and public-html for a hives check, and then it goes to Hixie
to craft spec language and integrate into the Editor's draft.  After
which the normal review process within HTML WG with PFWG looking over
their shoulder continues.

Al