Re: Final thoughts on <q>

On Thu, 30 Oct 2008, Sam Kuper wrote:

> Perhaps this would be a good juncture for Ian to step in with some
> feedback.

I'm swamped with forms-related feedback at the moment, so I haven't been
able to make a long detailed examination of the feedback so far, but my
impression is that the best thing for us to do is to say that <q> should
get punctuation marks like HTML4 says, since within a year all the
browsers will do that, and then to encourage authors to use CSS to style
their quote marks. It's not ideal, but it's also not a terrible disaster.
Authors are still free to avoid using <q> and just use quotation marks
directly in their markup if they desire.