Re: SVG and MathML in text/html

On Mar 10, 2008, at 11:39, Julian Reschke wrote:

> For the record: I disagree with that direction. Trying to integrate
> SVG and MathML into HTML seems to be inferior to having a generic
> solution.

Building above-DOM support for SVG or MathML takes more effort than
building the below-DOM part. Chances are that if there ever is a need
to add another substantial chunk of element vocabulary to the Web
platform so that it doesn't fall under XHTML, SVG or MathML,
implementing the above-DOM part will take more effort than tweaking
the below-DOM parsing algorithm. That's why generalizing away the need
to tweak the below-DOM part in the future seems like the wrong
optimization especially if it the generalization requires the SVG and
MathML cases carry more boilerplate.

--
Henri Sivonen
hsivonen@iki.fi