Re: HTML 5 WD (not technical)

On Jan 23, 2008, at 10:18 PM, Ian Hickson wrote:

> On Thu, 24 Jan 2008, Daniel Glazman wrote:
>>>
>>> Individuals are added to the acknowledgements whenever I make a
>>> change
>>> to the working-copy file that is directly caused by a comment they
>>> have made.
>>
>> So people who seriously contribute to the discussions but don't push
>> anything to the spec are not there. Hum, to say the least.
>
> I had to come up with some sort of way of deciding who would end up
> on the
> acknowledgements list, otherwise all the people contributing to
> discussions on Slashdot, Digg, Reddit, in the blogosphere, on mailing
> lists everywhere, etc, would all end up on the list, and half the spec
> would just be a list of names. As it is, at least there's a simple
> criteria that I can use, and I can say with certainty that the
> people who
> are acknowledged are people without whom the spec would definitely
> have
> been poorer.

I think it would be friendly, though not strictly necessary, to give
an acknowledgment to the HTML Working Group collectively, since it
voted to accept the current draft and advance it to FWPD, and has
provided a forum for discussion that can include parties which might
be unable to participate in WHATWG. Providing structure is worth
something, and progressing along the W3C standards track is a great
thing for HTML5. But I leave it to Editor's discretion.

Regards,
Maciej